Monday 11 August 2014

Thumb Sucking: A Blessing or a Curse? By Stephanie DeFilippo, DDS

Thumb Sucking: A Blessing or a Curse?
By Stephanie DeFilippo, DDS 

Much to my dismay I am the mother of a thumb sucker. I know what you are thinking; in the grand scheme of things this is not really a big deal. However, to a pediatric dentist, it can be heartbreaking. I spend my professional days giving advice to parents about this very issue. At the child’s first visit, which should be by their first birthday, I always ask if they have a thumb or pacifier habit. I talk about a habit being “ok” until the child is around three years old and to “not worry” until then. I do stress that a pacifier is easier to transition from because it is easier to throw away a pacifier, and not a thumb! Realistically, most children do stop before any damage is done, but since I specialize in children’s dentistry, I see many children who are still addicted to their thumbs as late as their early teens. What do you do at that point? Well, by this time, the damage is done. Prolonged thumb and pacifier sucking does cause damage often happening as the permanent teeth erupt. It is always a good idea to cease the habit before this happens to help lower your orthodontic bill. Thumb sucking can also cause a malformation of the palate leading to a tongue thrust. This is where parents will see the dreaded “buck teeth.” When this happens, a trip to the orthodontist is needed for a consult. They can make an appliance that will prohibit your child from sucking their thumb while fixing the damage that the thumb has caused. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry has this to say: “Thumb sucking is perfectly normal for infants; most stop by age 2 and it should be discouraged after age 4. Prolonged thumb sucking can create crowded, crooked teeth or bite problems. Dentists can suggest ways to address a prolonged thumb sucking habit. ” And, of course, “Never dip a pacifier into honey or anything sweet before giving it to a baby ” (aapd.org).

Is there a positive aspect of thumb sucking? My little one is an awesome sleeper and self-soother. I have a friend who swears by her thumb-sucking children and let’s me know how lucky I am. This, of course, I know. I understand that thumb sucking is not the end of the world. Experiencing milestones with my daughter only allows me treat your children better. And for that, I am especially thankful. I will not only be able to treat your children, but also sympathize with what you are going through stage by stage. Should you worry about thumb sucking? Maybe, come see me and we will get through this together.

Stephanie DeFilippo, DDS is a pediatric dentist at Drs. Null, Seidel and Dental Associates and a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry

Drs. Null, Seidel & Dental Associates  
353 York Street Front
Gettysburg, PA 17325
(717) 334-8193 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment